Pages

Thursday, February 19, 2009

A peek into the business of Paris couture

In my analog life, I am a features reporter for an English-language newspaper in Taipei. One of my beats is fashion and as result I sometimes get the chance to talk to some really intriguing people who would otherwise never come within a yard of me. One of my recent interviews was with the head of the Fédération française de la couture, du prêt-à-porter des couturiers et des créateurs de mode, the most important organization in the French fashion industry. It is this body that decided which designers can bear the haute couture label. Didier Grumbach gave me his thoughts on the impact of fast fashion on designers, the relevance of couture in today's economic climate and what runway shows offer that presentations (which many designers are turning to right now for budgetary/artistic reasons) can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment