Pages

Thursday, January 14, 2010

An old friend from long ago...


I was trawling through Vintage Ad Browser when I found an old friend. This vintage advertising poster from China used to hang on my wall when I was in college. I bought it at the Union Square holiday gift fair. The woman in it appealed to me because she seemed bookish, shy and in her own world despite all the busy little graphics around her; during my freshman year of college I could certainly identify with that. I also loved her outfit -- the sleekness of her qipao, the surprisingly modern vest with its rosette and the strands of pearls. It's good to see her again (and it's also good to be able to read Chinese now and know that the poster is advertising the awesome flour and vegetables you'll grow after using ammonium sulfate!).

5 comments:

  1. she is beautiful! i love her hair :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a pretty poster! and neat that you re-found it now that you are able to actually read it. also, thanks for the link to the vintage ad site- that is awesome! ~joelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. gorgeous picture

    lovelove, M.
    http://marissaexplains.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sophisticated flour and vegetabe advertisment! It's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i like her. i was just browsing the vintage ad finder- so much neat stuff!

    ReplyDelete